My Reaction about the play "MingMing"

Blog Task # 5


MingMing is one of a kind theater play. Even though, I hate theater because it sounds boring. Actually, MingMing is the very first theater play that I’ve watched. I was surprised when I entered the mini-theater , the set-up was somewhat weird. As far as I know, theatrical plays are presented in front of the audience but this one is kind of difference-the stage play was placed in the center for which the audience surrounds the stage, seeing the actions in all angles. Lucky for me, I was sitting beside the stage.

When I was waiting for the show to start, I can’t help myself watching those two guys, standing in one corner, laughing and doing crazy acts and  I wonder maybe they do it in such purpose-making the audience in the room a little bit interested so that they won’t get bored.

The lights turned off and the show started with a sort of viewing the setting of the play . The two guys went dancing towards the center stage, repeating some dance moves and rhythm then they unveil the girl, lying beneath a piece of cloth. A loud scream echoed into my ear then all the characters in the stage started to talk, just like they are facing each other, but they were not. It caused much confusion to me because of their conversation do not interrelate with each other. The old lady kept on saying about a secret, the old guy always talked about wars and the lady kept telling about her daughter. And this girl, whom I think was a spirit in the play, always shouting but she wasn’t heard by other family member.

As my confusion builds up as they keep on talking and talking but their statement does not connect with each other. I have this idea in my mind that these three do not share the same time and place. As I was analyzing what each other was saying, I stumbled upon this hints, which was stating time and therefore I found out that the old guy was somehow in the time of World War II and also the old lady. The lady with an orange bandana was the daughter of the old lady, was the mother of the spirit girl “MingMing”.I can’t figure out what was their names. As far as I know, each and every one of the portraits a different generation.

As the story unfolds, each character shares something about their lives, story about their sufferings, joys and secrets-the darkest secrets. Then I discovered that the old lady was in love with the old guy but was married to his brother instead. The old lady sacrificed her love to the old guy to solve a family problem and to prevent family feud. On the other hand, the young woman had an affair to an Economics Professor, which was a Christian, but unexpectedly, she bore a child. Because of that, she hid herself and the child “MingMing”.

The two guys back then where spirits who cursed MingMing so that she was able to saw the dark secrets of her family.

The play was so awesome and it showed three generations in a unique way of presenting which can cause confusions to the audience. In order for you to understand the play, you need to sharpen and perceive your senses so that the audience will become attentive in viewing the story.